Sunday, April 15, 2007

Contextualizing the gospel

Jumping into a pond to bring the Good News to frogs and scaling a cliff to reach eagles—that’s what it means to contextualize the gospel. Contextualizing means we learn as best we can to tell the Good News in Frogish or Eaglish. It doesn’t mean we eat flies or rip small animals apart with our toes.

The church should always look for new ways to present the gospel so that everyone can understand it clearly. But understanding doesn’t mean liking. Tenderizing and dressing the gospel to make it easy to swallow isn’t contextualizing; it’s sin. From any worldly context the gospel will always be foolishness and hard to swallow. But the church still proclaims the words of Jesus: “I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats this bread, he will live forever. And the bread I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.”

See what I mean?

(c) Copyright 2007. A. Milton Stanley

2 comments:

Sista Cala said...

Amen. I just love these daily doses of things to ponder and share.

Milton Stanley said...

I'm glad you like them, SC. Thank you for being one of the most faithful readers of MDD. Peace.