Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Talking about love

Love is the most critical element of Christian discipleship. It’s also one of the most abused and misunderstood words in the English language. To avoid misconceptions, we can find lots of ways to talk about love without using the word itself. “Concerned for,” “care about,” “patience,” “kindness” are some of the ways we can express the idea of love without using the word itself. We don’t always have to say “love.” But if ever forget to love, we’re in serious trouble.

Recently I went through a phone interview about myself and my ministry. I talked for the better part of an hour, but looking back can’t remember once saying “love” or any of its stand-ins. I hope my memory's the problem. If not, then I’m afraid all those other words were as empty as outer space.

Update: For what it's worth, I've thought back over the interview and remember talking about love several times. But the point's the same.

(c) Copyright 2007, A. Milton Stanley

No comments: