Monday, June 4, 2007

More on obeying God

Last week we looked at the source of obedience or disobedience to the Lord. To a very great extent, our actions reflect what we believe. The more we truly believe the Good News of Jesus Christ, the more we will obey God—and vice-versa.

Sin problems, then, are ultimately faith problems. We may not admit it, but sinful actions in Christians reflect our lack of faith in God. So if unbelief is the underlying problem, what does it take to have more faith?

A couple of things. One is prayer; if we ask God for deeper faith, he will honor that request (Mt. 7:7). The other is the Word of God (Rom. 10:17). If we submit ourselves to the Word in humility and prayer, our minds will change. And once our minds truly change, our lives will show it.

(c) Copyright 2007, A. Milton Stanley

3 comments:

Harry said...

Thanks Milton for the great post. I've been keeping up with your blog for a while now and you have proved to be a continual fountain of inspiration for me.

I am going through a particularly difficult period right now. I am forced to make a decision and I'm not sure what the Lord would want me to do. I have been praying and reading scripture daily to try to find the answer but so far it has alluded me.

I guess sometimes I feel like it is not a matter of searching out a deeper faith through the word of God and prayer.

I was born with an abnormality and I'm faced with the decision to have it surgically removed. On one hand corinthians says "God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple" (1Cor 3:16-17) and on the other my abnormality has become a major obstacle for me being happy.

I will continue praying and reading on this issue but I thought it might help further along the discussion.

Milton Stanley said...

Harry, thanks for letting me know that this weblog has been a conduit of inspiration for you. I'm truly sorry to hear about your struggles. I have no idea what they are, precisely, but I will be praying you will be faithful and obedient to God in all things.

Milton Stanley said...

Also, I'll be praying that in that faith and obedience you will know the joy of discipleship and the peace that passes all understanding.