Wednesday, June 18, 2008

David and Goliath

Too many sermons on David and Goliath rattle on about secondary issues. If you’ve ever heard a lesson on D&G, you know what I mean: be brave, be strong, God gives us power to overcome the giants in our life.

That approach misses the point completely. As someone has said, when Christians read about David and Goliath, we aren't David. We're the Israelite army, cowering back, too scared to so much as take a step in the giant's direction.

In this case David, anointed one of God, is a foreshadowing of Jesus, who single-handedly beat the giant of sin and death. Praise God that we not only don't have to beat the giant alone, Jesus has already beat him for us.


(c) Copyright 2008, A. Milton Stanley

8 comments:

Jon Clayton said...

That is a good point my brother!

NaNcY said...

i for one do not like mean giants, and i would never want to meet one alone in a dark alley. my mother told me to never walk alone in dark alleys. my mother was right more than i would like to admit. but, you are right in knowing that no matter where we are, our God is bigger and kinder and we will always win in the end against giants that can be knocked over with a stone. a very special wonderful stone. and Jesus will lead us forward if we put our faith in Him/ put on our armor of God.

God's Love to you
and peace

Milton Stanley said...

Jon, I can't take credit for the idea, of course, but I'm certainly glad you appreciate it. Peace.

Milton Stanley said...

Amen. Thanks for your comments, Nancy. Peace.

T. Ray Greer, Jr. said...

Wow
That was an awesome view point. I stumble up on your blog researching dreams and I am absolutely glad I did. I want to keep up with the devotionals but I am totally new to this. I hope I can figure out what to do because everything I have read from you have empowered me at a time where its hard to get my attention. Keep letting God speak through you...you must be an awesome preacher!!!

Milton Stanley said...

I don't know if I'm an awesome preacher, but I do know this much: I'm sure not David. Thanks for your kind and encouraging words, and may God bless you richly in your journey of faith. Thanks for your work at Is the Church Relevant?.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Milton Stanley said...

Thank you for the kind words.