Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Old or young creation

One of the most useless subjects for believers to argue about is how many years old the earth is. A lot of Christians believe the Bible can be true only if science comes up with the same number of years as Genesis from creation to now. But here's the problem: If science can “prove” the authority of the Bible, then science, not the Bible, is really the authority. Either we believe the Bible is true or we don't. If it is, then whatever science tells us doesn't matter at all.


(c) Copyright 2008, A. Milton Stanley

6 comments:

NaNcY said...

i need to try that again...

my very real relationship with God is all i need to know, faith is what lead me to that relationship, need led me to the faith, my broken state brought me back to my need for God in Jesus.

man's study of the earth is not the basis for my belief in God or of his word.

Milton Stanley said...

"man's study of the earth is not the basis for my belief in God or of his word."

Amen. Well said, sister.

Adam Gonnerman said...

The "Creation vs. Evolution" saddens me. I believe in God's word in an "absolute" sort of way without seeing it as literal on all points. I don't have to believe that Moses alone authored the first five books of the Bible or believe the creation took place in 6 literal days in order to understand and believe that God created a good world that fell.

Your point about science "proving" the Bible and thus becoming the authority is excellent.

Adam Gonnerman said...

Sorry, I wrote that too fast. I meant to say that humanity, not all of creation, fell. Creation was subjected to futility because of humanity's fall (Romans 8).

Milton Stanley said...

I understand. Thanks for commenting, and all the best for your work at Igneous Quill.

NaNcY said...

hi milton...
an invite to read "grace walk" with me.

come and see.